Friday, December 14, 2007

I may have found a new hobby

Don't tell hubby though.
I went to the Wild Bird Feed center across the river to get my dad a birthday gift. Oh
my
gosh

They have the cutest birdhouses. I know birds don't really care what their houses look like. A hole in a tree is fine with them, but the houses are sooo cute. I'll have to get busy planting more trees in the yard. Anyway- I loaded up my dad with gifts. We took them to him tonight and he actually thought we mistakenly brought his Christmas gifts, too.

I did pick up a mix of "gourmet" shelled seeds for my little birdies. My new years resolution is to work on making my backyard more inviting to the little darlings.

Well - here is what I made my dad for his birthday cake.

Southern Apple cake...Okay - so Southern Apple Cake doesn't exactly sound like Christmas, huh? Well, wait until you taste it.

Apples, Pecans and Caramel. Yum.

I made this today. I'll have to share pics tomorrow. Thought I'd share the recipe.

Southern Apple Cake (from Taste of the South magazine)

2 cups suger
4 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teasp. salt
1 teasp. baking soda
3 cups thinly sliced apples
1 cup chopped pecans
1 recipe Caramel Topping (see below)
Pecan Halves (for top)

Grease a 13x9x2 baking pan. (hint - do NOT preheat the oven - I don't know why either)
Mix suger, eggs, and oil with electric mixer. Set aside
In a separate bowl sift flour, salt and soda. Add apples and nuts. Stir tently until distrubuted throughout batter. Spread batter in prepared pan.

Place in COLD oven. Bake at 325 F for 50-55 minutes. Let cool in pan.
Pour caramel toppin over cake in pan. Garnish with pecan halves

CARMEL TOPPING

1/2 cup suger
1/2 cup firmly packed brown suger
4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1 teasp vanilla extract

in small pan over medium high heat, combine all ingredients and bring to a boil. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in vanilla. (pour over cake).

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Lynn Anne said...

Sounds delish and absolutely sinful. He must have loved it! I love cute birdie things too but we have such a black bear 'problem' around here (they break into people's kitchens, sleep under their porches, kill their little dogs and bunnies...) that birdfeeders (which attract bears) are only legal to have out during hibernation season...so I haven't bothered. They are so cute though, aren't they?? And the houses...maybe I could get a couple of houses to put on our trees at least...there's a store here called Wildbirds Unlimited that's just evil, found it when shopping for my mom!

Kathleen Summers said...

Hey girlfriend, thanks for posting on my new blog! Once a day, wow. I don't know if I could do that, let alone if anyone would actually READ it. But thanks for all the ideas. Maybe I'll try once every week or two weeks or something.

And your blog post before this one... LOL!!!