Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Empty Nest

I have empty nest syndrome. I went to take photos of the five baby birds again - 4 days after the last photo - and this is what I saw.



I can't believe I missed seeing them learning to fly. I panicked because I didn't know where they were. They were there the day before - I could hear them "singing" when their mommy brought them dinner.

Then I looked. They were just a few yards away perched on our fence. They were all there, but I only got a pic of 4 of them because the other male was flying. Yes, the males already have color! When did this happen. They were all still dark and fuzzy just a few days ago.



I watched them throughout the day. They moved further and further away. Out of our yard, to the pond behind our house. I could still see them in a distant Bradford pear tree. Then they were too far to see. I was sitting outside talking to my mom on the phone - and they flew over my head! But I don't know where they went. I was hoping they would "come home" and stay in their crowded nest for the night so I could "see" them.

*sigh* Empty next syndrome. They grow up too fast. I wish I would have taken more photos and watched them "leave" the nest. Lesson learned: Cherish your real children even more and more and be thankful that they don't grown up and leave home in two weeks.

No comments: